In addition to regularly cleaning your hardwood floors, take preventative steps to protect them against dents, scratches and similar kinds of damage. Here are some things you can do:
- Implement a “no shoes” rule in your home. In particular, you should never walk across a hardwood floor wearing stiletto heels or shoes with missing or damaged heel taps.
- If you have pets, trim their nails regularly to keep them from damaging your flooring.
- Place felt pads under dining room chairs and other hard-legged furniture. Since felt pads tend to come off over time, plan to replace these at least once a year.
- Place plywood or plastic lifts under heavy appliances and furniture.
- Place slip-resistant pads beneath area rugs to avoid a gradual sanding effect.
- Replace narrow furniture rollers with wide rubber rollers that are less likely to dent or damage the floor.
- Never move heavy furniture or appliances across a hardwood floor without proper floor protection.