Whether or not you wear eyeglasses, you shouldn’t take your vision for granted. Here are five tips to maximize eye health and comfort:
1. Wear sunglasses. Sunglasses protect your eyes from the harmful effects of UV light, which lead to the development of cataracts, macular degeneration and other vision problems. To ensure protection from an early age, young children should start wearing sunglasses as soon as they’re able.
2. Treat dry eyes. This condition can be instigated by numerous causes (including a sustained lack of sleep) and may even come as a symptom of aging. In addition to getting an eye drop prescription from your doctor, consider taking omega-3 supplements, which can further help alleviate this condition.
3. Make sure your prescription is current. Even if you’ve been wearing glasses for years, your prescription can change over time, so remember to have yours updated regularly.
4. Get properly fitted for contact lenses. A common cause of discomfort with contacts is when lenses don’t correctly conform to the shape of the eye. To avoid this, be sure to get properly fitted by an eye care professional and follow the exact specifications of your prescription.
5. Get annual eye exams. Whether or not you wear glasses, annual eye exams are recommended because they allow your optometrist to catch potential problems in their early stages. Since conditions like glaucoma can develop over time with no pain or other associated symptoms, regular eye exams are the only way to identify and treat them preventatively.
To find a Diamond Certified eye care professional in your area, visit www.diamondcertified.org.