I bet a lot of you have stayed in Airbnbs in the past, so you know how the quality of the accommodations can vary widely. Even when you carefully read the reviews and compare properties, you can still end up renting a real stinker. One time our apartment was in the attic of an old Virginian mansion that smelled like mothballs. Another place looked inviting in the pictures but really needed a deep cleaning. And the worst one was located right next to a fire station! We didn’t sleep too well in Savannah, Georgia.
Mostly though, I’ve had great experiences with Airbnb properties, and my recent stay in San Antonio, Texas was the best one ever. I was blown away. The host is identified as a “Super Host,” which means he’s a “shining example” to other hosts. He has hosted at least 10 trips and received top ratings from guests. This host also has the “Airbnb Plus” designation, signifying that the house has been inspected and meets the highest standards for maintenance, design, and amenities.
Here are some of the things this host did to make our stay extraordinary:
- Check-in was a breeze and he posted a board with essential information like Wi-Fi passwords and his contact info.
- We found a handwritten thank-you note on the coffee table when we arrived.
- He texted me several tips on where the locals go for great food and music.
- All the equipment and ingredients to make s’mores over the fire pit in the backyard were left for us in the kitchen.
- The sheets, pillows and towels were of the highest quality, and each closet had robes and slippers for guests.
- Bottled water was in the fridge and Starbucks coffee was right by the high-end coffeemaker. He even had excellent kitchen knives.
- The bathroom was equipped with a first-aid kit and extra toiletries in case a guest forgot something.
- The record player and LPs in the dining room were a nice touch.
- The night before we arrived, he asked whether we preferred red or white wine and left an Oregon Pinot Noir on the counter for us.
While we never met this host in person, we did feel welcomed and very well taken care of. If you ever visit San Antonio, I have just the place for you to stay!