1. Consider the room’s functionality. How do you plan to use the room? Will it be a work space or will you be entertaining? Will it be a quiet, personal space or an area where you’ll spend time with family? Sometimes spaces have to function in multiple ways, so be sure to consider this when making design choices.
2. Make the most of lighting. Many people think that if they install overhead lighting, they can eliminate lamps and other forms of lighting. However, they don’t realize that these various light fixtures play an important role in both the functionality and aesthetics of a room. Remember, you want to have light at all levels.
3. Don’t underestimate the importance of color. Color choice is very important for establishing the mood of a room. Different colors can have different effects on the way we feel, so choose colors that make you feel good.
4. Get organized. Everything has its place, and this is especially true in newly designed rooms. Make sure you keep organization in mind when designing.
5. Design in layers. Design is a layered process—it starts with basic space planning, moves to lighting and color, and ends with decorations and accessories. Throughout each layer, make sure you’re surrounding yourself with what appeals to you, expresses your personality and makes you happy.