Like many Bay Area homeowners, you may be planning for a remodeling project in the upcoming new year. Since preparedness is the name of the game in remodeling, it’s best to start addressing the preliminary details well in advance. Use the following tip sheet to make sure all your bases are covered:
1. Get multiple bids. Getting estimates from at least three contractors will enable you to compare bids and make a more educated choice.
2. Verify your contractor’s credentials. Prior to hiring, make sure your contractor is properly licensed and has current liability and workers’ compensation insurance.
3. Develop your ideas. In addition to discussing design ideas with your contractor, flip through some home remodeling magazines and clip out things that catch your eye.
4. Pad your budget. Set aside an additional 10 percent of your budget to cover any unforeseen expenses that come up during the project.
5. Find out about permits. Besides determining any necessary changes to your design, preemptively inquiring about permits will let you know if your project is legally feasible to begin with.