This time last year, no one could guess what 2020 had in store for us. Within a few short months, those New Year’s resolutions to get fit, travel and connect more with friends went right out the window as the COVID-19 pandemic set in. And that’s just one of many factors that made this past year so trying.
Now we find ourselves on a similar precipice, looking into the unknown that will be 2021. Regardless of how this year actually turns out, there’s no sense starting it off with a whimper. Instead, we should keep our heads up with the expectation of better days to come and take the initiative to improve our prospects. Whether that pertains to your home, health, livelihood or all of the above, here are some ideas for pressing “reset” in 2021.
1. A neat and tidy home environment can do wonders for your mental health, especially during a shelter-in-place mandate. If you’ve been struggling to maintain order in your home, consider hiring a home organization professional to help you conquer the clutter once and for all.
2. With the extended closure of gyms and fitness centers, many people let their physical health go by the wayside during the past year. That’s why it’s a good idea to start this year by scheduling a general health checkup with your doctor via video appointment. While you’re at it, you should also schedule appointments with your dentist, optometrist and audiologist to ensure a well-rounded preventative diagnosis.
3. Get the ball rolling on that remodeling project you’ve been dreaming about. Assemble your team (remodeling contractor, interior designer, etc.), establish your budget and determine permit requirements.
4. Demonstrate your commitment to water conservation in 2021 by replacing your water-guzzling lawn with a drought-tolerant garden or artificial turf.
5. Chances are you drove a lot less in 2020, in which case it has likely been some time since your vehicle was seen by a professional. Schedule a preventative maintenance appointment with your mechanic so they can look over your vehicle and make sure everything is in good working order.
6. Give your home’s windows a new look by upgrading your window coverings. Popular options include blinds, shades, drapes and shutters.
7. Do you have a list of home maintenance and repair needs left over from last year? Call a local handyman to help you get it done in ’21!
8. Improve your home’s energy efficiency and start saving money in the new year. Schedule a home energy audit to see where improvements are most needed. Often, the simple addition of some attic insulation can make a substantial impact.
9. Planning to install a new swimming pool in time for summer? Get started now—a pool project typically takes several months to complete.
10. If you’ve been thinking about installing a solar power system, this is the year to act. In 2021, owners of new residential solar can deduct 22 percent of the cost of their system from their taxes. In 2022, this tax deduction reduces to 10 percent, so don’t wait!
11. Despite the economic impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, the real estate market hasn’t shown any signs of decline. If you have a property to sell, don’t procrastinate—contact a real estate agent or broker to help you get the process started.
12. Add some color to your life in 2021 by updating your house paint, whether inside, outside or both. Read these pro tips on selecting a color scheme.
13. Start off the year by refreshing your home with a one-time professional house cleaning. If you’re happy with the results, consider signing up for recurrent cleaning services.
14. Remodeling your kitchen on a budget? Look into cabinet refacing. For a fraction of the cost of a new installation, refacing gives cabinets a fresh look while retaining their existing structure.
16. Get a new look (in more ways than one) by updating your eyewear to a more modern fashion. Visit a local optician to get professional guidance on choosing eyewear frames that complement your facial shape, hair and skin tone.
17. Out-of-sight areas of your home like the attic and crawl space may be easy to ignore, but doing so can lead to adverse consequences. Invest in attic and crawl space cleaning services to eradicate dust and rodents and update your insulation.
18. These days, we could all use a little more sunshine in our lives. A great way to do this is by installing a skylight in your roof. You’ll be amazed at the difference it makes!
19. Take flight in 2021! Turn your dreams of piloting an aircraft into reality by enrolling at a local flight school.
20. A fireplace is the centerpiece of any living room that has one. If your fireplace is out of date, consider making some upgrades. Replace those old glass-and-brass doors with a custom-designed wrought iron door. To cut down on carbon emissions, consider converting your wood-burning fireplace to a gas fireplace.
21. Tired of being stuck inside all the time? Hire a landscape contractor to refurbish your back (or front) yard and create an outdoor oasis for you to escape to.
Here’s to a happy and prosperous 2021!