Dear Savvy Consumer:
Yes, that’s the Giants’ World Series trophy I’m standing next to in the photo. My husband is now calling me his “trophy wife.” (Whatever.) This picture was taken at KNBR-Radio, home of the San Francisco Giants, a couple of months ago.
With spring training in full swing (I’m on my way there this week.), Bay Area baseball fans are still euphoric, having witnessed a thrilling postseason with our home team winning the ultimate prize—being the best in all of baseball. In the end, the Giants reached their goal by committing to high performance and excelling day in and day out. Our pitchers had unhittable stuff, our defense was solid and our batters consistently came through in the clutch.
If you want quality baseball this season, you’ll choose to follow your World Series Champion San Francisco Giants. And if you want quality local companies, choose ones that have earned Diamond Certified. Companies awarded this designation are champions too, because they score highest in customer satisfaction ratings. Scores are based on research and interviews with real customers, using a rating process proven for its accuracy.
Do your research before choosing a local company by using diamondcertified.org as a resource. I think you’ll find that among Bay Area companies, they’re your real champions.
The Savvy Consumer
Join me on Twitter & Facebook
P.S. Listen for a new Diamond Certified consumer tip every Tuesday morning in the 7:00 hour on KNBR, 680 AM. Go Giants!
Spring Home Maintenance Checklist
We’re all happy to see the first signs of spring after months of cold and rain. As the sun starts shining again, don’t forget to take some time to get your home back in tip-top shape. Here are some items for your spring to-do list.
- Check for leaks that appeared for the first time during recent rains. Get at least three estimates for a major roof repair.
- Make sure gutters and downspouts are clean and free of blockages.
- If you don’t already have gutter screens, install them now.
- If your annual chimney cleaning is normally scheduled each spring, make an appointment.
- Cut any low tree branches that broke during the winter storms, or call an arborist for higher limbs.
- Change batteries in smoke and carbon monoxide detectors when you change your clocks. (We “spring forward” one hour at 2:00 am Sunday, March 13.)
- Clean the air conditioner, if you have one. Get tips on doing it yourself from HGTV.com.
- Check the tank for the gas grill; refill it, if necessary.
- Make sure any power tools for lawn and garden maintenance are fueled up and ready to go.
- If you’ve never had a home fire extinguisher, get one—or more—now. At minimum, keep one in the kitchen and one in the garage.
- Pressure-wash your decks and then use decking stain and/or sealer.
- Get ratings from Consumer Reports.
- Plant new annuals in the garden or planter boxes and pots for a spring pick-me-up.
Kudos from Diamond Certified Consumers
Re: R.C. Painting
This is a big thank-you for the job you and your crew did on my guesthouse in Monterey.
My husband loves the results, and still comments on the care and detail the crew used when they taped off and covered the non-paintable things. He said, "What good craftsmen they are." Plus, he was really, really happy that he could still get into the refrigerator! I was grateful for the extra time you took to show us the different paint colors, and when I heard the way you explained the concept of "different whites," I learned something. I get so frustrated trying to describe issues of color and design that I end up sputtering and waving my hands, and of course that irritates my husband to no end. I watched you explain efficiently and tactfully, and I was taking mental notes the whole time: "Aha, that's how it's done."
So, thanks very much, and thanks to the crew. Every time I go in the guesthouse now, I'm cheered up.
Companies Recently Earning
Ashley Interiors, Inc., Newark
Paver Pro, Hayward
Contra Costa County
Ductz of Walnut Creek and The Tri-Valley, Danville
NHance Wood Renewal, Novato
Sampson's Landscaping, Inc., Novato
Smart Window Cleaning, Novato
Monterey & San Benito Counties
Cardoza & Robinson Painting, Inc., Monterey
DentPro of Salinas, Santa Cruz & Monterey Peninsula, Salinas
AB Plumbing, San Francisco
Spryscapes Construction, Inc., San Francisco
Santa Clara County
Cal-Pac Roofing, Campbell
San Mateo County
Marcan Enterprise, Inc., Redwood City
The Cleaning Company, Inc., Pacifica
Tony Addy's Building Services, Inc., San Mateo, CA
California Granite, Inc., Petaluma, CA
Creative Window Fashions, Inc., Santa Rosa, CA