In the traditional model for building or remodeling a home or commercial building, you would search for an architectural firm to have your home plans drawn up and then shop for builders who are willing to bid on the project. But now you are able to save both time and money by choosing a design-build contractor for your next home or commercial construction project.
Selecting a design-build contractor means that the builder or firm you work with will build your home and assume responsibility for both the architectural design and building completion of the construction project.
Design and build construction companies in Marin County provide a variety of contracting services for residential and commercial clients. In addition to constructing custom homes, remodeling bathrooms and kitchens, and offering commercial tenant improvements, design and build contractors can build home additions, decks, stairs, retaining walls, and other hardscapes. They manage every phase of the construction process for their clients, including installing windows, plumbing, roofing, electrical systems, flooring, and drywall.
Because of its design/build capabilities, design and build contractors offer both architectural and engineering design services that provide complete project management from beginning to end.
The Advantages of Selecting a Design and Build Builder
There are several advantages to choosing a design and build contractor. These include:
- Singular responsibility because a single entity is held accountable for the cost, schedule, and performance of the project
- Better quality because design and build contractors meet performance needs rather than minimum design requirements. This leads to developing innovations that deliver a better completed project than initially envisioned.
- Faster delivery of the completed project with few problems
- Improved overall quality as reputable design and build contractors have quality sub contractors. Usually they use the same sub-contractors on a regular basis so they know who is dependable and who is not.
- One design and build contractor assumes responsibility for any problem in the entire project
- Cost savings due to an integrated team that is geared toward innovation and efficiency Decreased administrative burden since the owners can focus on the project rather than managing several smaller contracts
- Litigation claims are virtually eliminated by closing warranty gaps
- Design and build teams assume risk which eliminates additional risk added by several various contractors.
- Flexibility to change plans while in the process
The Disadvantages to Selecting a Design-Build Firm
There are also a few disadvantages of choosing a design and build contractor. They include the following:
- It can be difficult to effectively estimate the cost of the overall project based on preliminary information
- Due to the flexibility of changing things midstream, this can affect costs and timelines.
- Projects can quickly go over budget if your project ends up with several additional upgrades. Make sure that you choose a reputable design and build company in order to offset this problem.
Tips for Finding the Best Marin County Design-Build Contractor
When you are searching for a design-build contractor in Marin County, including the larger cities of Tiburon, Sausalito, Fairfax, Ross, and Belvedere, check to see if they have already build a home similar to the one you are looking for. If so, it will be rather easy for them to modify the plan. They will also understand the permitting process and have ideas of what could improve the design.
Be sure to check references of any design and build contractor. Request two positive references as well as a reference that may not be so positive. Ask if there are any homes that they designed and built that you can view. Also, be sure to find out what types of interior finishing products they use. Make sure this person is someone whom you can see yourself working with for the next three months happily.
Be sure to check several potential design and build contractors for your building project. Give identical copies of detailed project plans to each potential candidate for a quote. You should get at least three different quotes before making your final selection. Also, make sure the quote includes materials and fixtures that meet your project specifications.
Because a design-build company building your home will save you time, money and stress, make sure to do your homework and find a quality company to do business with. This way you will have done everything possible to end up with a beautiful home that brings you satisfaction.
Avoid hiring a contractor who does any of the following:
- Applies pressure for you to make a quick hiring decision
- Requests that YOU obtain any required building permits
- Accepts only cash
- Quotes a final price without first seeing the job
- Offers only lifetime warranties (as these are only as good as the life of the company)
- Wants to use leftover materials from another job for your project
- Offers a discount for on-the-spot hiring
- Has no business number in the local telephone directory
- Requires a large down payment for the purpose of purchasing materials
- Provides only a PO Box address rather than a physical address
- Suggests you borrow money for your project from a lender the contractor knows
- Requests complete payment upfront
- Offers discounts for finding customers for the contractor